Date Posted: August 16, 2022
Students for Life Action
Status: Paid - Full Time
The National Policy Director will be responsible for tracking national pro-life and proabortion legislation, drafting legislative updates to grow and maintain relationships with members and staff on Capitol Hill, and educating elected officials on Students for Life’s mission, successes, challenges on campuses, as well as our unique messaging that converts those most targeted by the abortion industry. Additionally, the National Policy Director will be responsible for working with our Strategic Partnership Advisor to keep supporters informed of our efforts on Capitol Hill.
An ideal candidate will have experience in political campaigning, knowledge of the prolife movement, be a proficient writer, spokesperson, and fundraiser. He or she must be willing to work long hours and travel, able to quickly pivot (have a sense of adventure), a team player, a good communicator, and have an entrepreneurial mindset as they are responsible for management responsibilities within the organization.
- Develop, track, and maintain relationships on Capitol Hill with key lawmakers, staff, and organizations.
- Help Students for Life Action identify important legislation to engage on and identify possible legislative initiatives.
- Attend in-person and virtual meetings with other pro-life groups and Capitol Hill staff, and identify new opportunities for the Pro-Life Generation to engage in.
- Work with vendors and SFLAction Comms team to update and promote federal legislative scorecard and notify members of Congress prior to voting which bills are being scored.
- Draft communications to targeted elected officials, staff, SFLA supporters, and SFLA student leaders in regards to key votes, talking points, resources, and trending issues.
- Work with friendly elected officials in support of SFLAction’s suite of Post-Roe America legislation that can be introduced and passed, offering positive alternatives and solutions, preparing for when abortion is made illegal.
- Potentially testify at congressional committee hearings as needed.
- Conduct media interviews about SFLAction programs, successes, and challenges in place of SFLAction President.
- Serve as the liaison between the Students for Life of America and Students for Life Action with regards to legislative battles the Pro-Life Generation must engage in.
- Regularly send updates to Development team and contracted writers about successes, challenges, and strategy plans.
- Assist in training Students for Life team members and student leaders in messaging, lobbying, and other political engagement as requested.
- Work with National Events Coordinator to plan quarterly lobby days on the Hill.
- File lobbying reports and work with SFLAction’s general counsel to remain legally compliant.
- Draft five-year federal affairs growth plan and revise annually.
- Attend daily check-in meetings virtually, with Executive Director.
- Attend and report federal-related action items daily in virtual communications strategy meeting with Communications Team.
- Draft One Click Politics action pages.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Highly organized and able to manage several projects at once
- Must have an entrepreneurial mindset and attitude
- Proficient writing skills
- Must have knowledge of grammar rules and utilize the oxford comma
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, competitive environment
- Ability to learn new issues and become an expert on all pro-life issues
- Basic understanding of social media growth and engagement
- Ability to stay organized and stay on top of breaking news
The National Policy Director will be responsible for overseeing the Government Affairs Intern and additional potential employees as Students for Life Action grows.
National Policy Director & Travel
The National Policy Director is based out of Washington, D.C. Minor traveling, outside of onboarding, may be required periodically.
The National Policy Director must be able to lift 30 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time salaried position working at least 45 hours per week. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hours may be somewhat flexible by request.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. Experience in the pro-life movement and campaign/legislative experience preferred.
Must be able to successfully complete an I-9. The I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected].