Life Network Malta
Status: Paid - Full Time
Life Network Malta is an organisation focused on life issues in
Malta. It works to advance the recognition and preservation of
human dignity, particularly through consistent protection for the
right to life of every human being from conception.
We are seeking a capable, self-motivated and experienced individual to become our Public
Affairs Director, working closely with the organisation’s board members and allies to grow
the organisation, develop an ongoing public affairs strategy and execute it.
The successful candidate will have a strong track record of successfully delivering high performing, impactful public affairs campaigns and public affairs activities, along with being
able to hit the ground running to deliver momentum to help grow the organisation’s public
affairs strategy and influence.
AS PUBLIC AFFAIRS DIRECTOR YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
• building a new, highly professional, secular, pro-life public affairs team in Malta
• working closely with a wider group of ally organisations and political advisers to
develop and implement an innovative public affairs strategy for the organisation.
• regularly informing politicians, civil servants, and others on life issues through
meetings, written correspondence and coordination of events.
• producing and reviewing accessible and effective written briefings on complex
topics for a variety of internal and external audiences.
• monitoring of life-issues-related policy developments in Malta, Europe, and across
the world, the courts and judiciary, the relevant parts of the charity sector, medical
institutions and new research from policy/research institutes and university
• working to identify and respond proactively to all relevant government
consultations and producing briefings in order to help MPs and supporters do the
• keeping in close contact with and working with other organisations in the life issues field.
• educating and engaging with the wider public through mounting public-facing
campaigns by producing, or sourcing, resources, writing content for digital assets
(website, social media, video transcripts, etc.) and drafting media briefings/press
releases/opinion pieces for the media components of campaigns.
• any other related tasks within the organisation as may be necessary.
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• good honours degree required and postgraduate qualifications desirable.
• relevant experience interacting with political institutions.
• good knowledge of life-issues and connected areas.
• a sound understanding of and commitment to the right to life of unborn babies.A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
• have a track record of successfully delivering campaigns and public affairs
• have excellent political judgement and diplomacy, with the ability to persuade
different audiences and stakeholders.
• have some knowledge of parliamentary procedure, the courts and judiciary and
new research from policy/research institutions and university sectors.
• have advanced writing skills with the ability to write policy proposals, briefings,
speeches, digital and campaign content, etc.
• understand and engage with the latest life-issues-related research, relevant
legislation and consultation documents.
• exhibit a rigorous approach which lends itself to methodical and accurate work
produced in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
• have strong personal and time-management skills.
• be an excellent written and oral communicator.
• be able to relate to people from all cultures, ethnicities and value-systems.
• be able to hold information in confidence and build trust with those around you.
• be positive and enthusiastic.
• have the ability to persuade, motivate and inspire others to action.
• be able to think strategically and innovatively.
• be able to build and maintain external relationships.
• a self-starter, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
• have an interest in working in public affairs for a life-issues-related organisation
and a strong desire to play a part in influencing law and culture on these issues.
• preferably able to demonstrate a firm commitment to life-issues-related causes
through volunteer or other involvement with relevant projects in the past.
• in full agreement with the organisation’s mission and campaigning positions.
• enjoy writing, undertaking research and presenting the final product of this
research to legislators.
• when deadlines demand, flexibility and willingness to work overtime.
• when necessary, capable of working under pressure.
• committed to both team and unsupervised working.
• able to avoid party-political bias in your role.
• when necessary, willingness to help with tasks outside regular duties.
• an ability to bring an entrepreneurial zeal to your role and to get excited about the
outcomes that you can achieve through your involvement with the organisation.
• high standards of personal discipline, reliability, honesty, and integrity.